Ford Brooks, EdD, NCC, LPC, CADC
“If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading”
Ford grew up outside of Reading, PA before he ventured to Virginia where he started his academic and counseling career. In high school and college he found his ability to listen to others an important aspect to his life and career focus. This became much clearer when he majored in psychology and then spent two summers as a Registered Maine Fishing Guide when he took people out in the canoe each day to fish. Sitting in a canoe, day after day, and listening to the narratives of his boat mates made a significant impact in pursuing a counseling career.
Ford’s approach to counseling is client centered and existential in nature, trusting in the co-creative counseling process that unfolds between client and counselor. Each client brings resilience and strength to the therapeutic table where through the collaborative process, change can occur.
Ford has been a counselor since 1985. His clinical expertise is mainly with adults both individually and in group counseling with those experiencing mood (anxiety/depression/Bi-Polar) addiction and compulsive behavioral issues as well as those who are relapse prone. He also works with those in career and life transitional periods of change. Ford has worked clinically in private and state hospital, partial hospital and private practice settings. He is a full professor at Shippensburg University where he teaches in the counselor education graduate program.
Exercise and meditation are important to Ford so when he is not working or with his children, he is running, practicing martial arts, or riding on the rails to trails somewhere. Creativity is also significant for Ford as he continues to write and play music.
- B.A. University of Richmond 1983
- M.S. Virginia Commonwealth University/Medical College of Virginia 1985
- Ed.S. The College of William and Mary 1989
- Ed.D. The College of William and Mary 1996
- Licensed Professional Counselor in Virginia 1991-current
- Licensed Professional Counselor in Pennsylvania 2002-current
- National Certified Counselor 1996-current
- Certified Alcohol and Drug Counselor in Pennsylvania 1997-current
- International Addiction Certification 1997-current
- Registered Maine Fishing Guide 1982-current