Lisa Bechtel, LPC, RPT-S
“We tell stories to make meaning of the events and experiences in our lives. Through telling our own stories, we discover what is important to us, what we want out of life, and how we will express these essential parts of our being. ”
Lisa grew up in Carlisle with parents who were committed to nurturing diversity, fighting injustice, and accepting individuality. She and her two brothers were encouraged to strive for excellence, but never at the expense of meaningful and enduring relationships. Over the years, Lisa’s extended family has grown to include members who live on three continents, speak over a dozen languages, claim multiple ethnic and racial origins, and encompass four generations. The experience of blending such diversity into a close-knit family has served as an inspiration for Lisa’s work.
Following a ten-year career as an attorney, Lisa’s own professional journey led her to a counseling degree followed by extensive post-graduate training in Play Therapy. The foundation for her work with children, adolescents, and adults is the belief that we continually strive to grow toward our own health and wellbeing. By incorporating the use of storytelling and metaphors in therapy, Lisa encourages clients to powerfully connect to their own experience, find new meaning in their stories, and make new choices about the course of their lives. To aid this process of creation and growth, Lisa uses developmentally appropriate interventions such as play therapy, sand tray work, art and other expressive therapies, mindfulness, and behavioral and cognitive approaches.
Lisa currently lives with her spouse and three dogs on 20 acres in Perry County. Together they enjoy being outdoors—hiking, camping, kayaking, gardening—and playing with nephews, nieces, and grandchildren.
- B.A. Degree in Religion from Bryn Mawr College, Bryn Mawr, PA, 1979
- J.D. Degree from Dickinson School of Law, Carlisle, PA, 1985
- M.S. in Mental Health Counseling from Shippensburg University, Shippensburg, PA, 2001
- Clinical Therapist, Family and Children Services, Harrisburg, PA, 2001-2008
- Licensed Professional Counselor in PA, 2003
- Clinical Supervisor, Pressley Ridge, Harrisburg, PA, 2008
- Registered Play Therapist-Supervisor credential from the Association for Play Therapy, 2009
- Franco Psychological Associates, 2009